Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Of Oceans, Banksy and Tank Hearts

Of Oceans, a band I recently stumbled upon and very glad I did. Their EP is on sell here for $1. Not bad if you ask me. Only two songs but both are just beautiful. This is my favorite of the two, has such a gentle vibe about it, hope you enjoy.

During my semester at UVA-Wise in 2008, I had an assignment were I was to "collaborate" with a famous artist who was still alive. The professor had a list of of artists with some picture of their work. This was the first time I was introduced to the famous yet unknown street artist Banksy. I've been a huge fan ever since. The assignment was to imagine yourself collaborating with the artist to produce a work through some method of printmaking taught in the class. I knew for a fact I was going to work with stencils to make a screen print. After studying Banksy's website, fan blogs along with anti-Banksy/graffiti sites. I learned that Banksy works are political, in many cases humorous and always carry a strong message. Here are some of the works that I referenced in creating my piece.




And here is my piece.

I felt like this embodied the essence of Banksy while I was still able to make it my own. This was the last screen print that I have done since. Now I work the same way only with spray paint, as you can tell from some older posts below.


No comments:

Post a Comment